When I was pregnant with my first child, I developed an affinity for apple juice slushes from Sonic. I know what you're thinking. My husband was the same way. Ew. Gross. But don't judge until you've tried it. Somehow I think my mind justified it as healthy because it was made with apple juice. At any rate, I felt like maybe I wasn't ingesting AS much sugar as if I were slurping down a cherry or grape slush. Because let's face it...a slushie was going to be had, one way or another. I was pregnant. And it's Memphis. If you don't know, August is a HOT month in Memphis. The air is so heavy it chokes you when you try to breathe outside.
Anyway, it's warming up here and I'm pregnant again and once again, slushies are calling my name. My budget (and taking care of a toddler) doesn't really allow for daily trips to Sonic when the mood strikes so I started thinking about a slushie machine. And then I could make margaritas after the baby is here. Win, win, right? I'm a gear snob and after much research, the only machine that I would find acceptable costs $300. hello! Not happening. Using a blender won't make me happy. It's either too chunky or too liquidy. Never perfect. So. Now what? We have an ice cream maker someone gave us for our wedding that has been used maybe twice in 3 years. Hmmm...what if.......could it really work?
Experiment! I chucked the little freezer bowl thing into our freezer overnight and while lunch was cooking, I poured some apple juice in the thing and turned it on. 30 minutes later, I saw this:
Fluffy, icy apple juice! It was a little dry. I know..weird to say..but dump some of that fluffy apple ice in a cup, pour a little juice on top and presto chango! I have an apple juice slush! It's just as tasty as the one from Sonic and I didn't have to take off my pj pants or brush my hair! My next experiment will be to check it after 15 minutes..I think i may have over cooked my slushie. :-) What's better than a one ingredient recipe? And next time, I'll try some Crystal Lite. Or maybe koolaid...I'll bet that tastes like the cherry and grape sugar drink you can get at Sonic!
No comments:
Post a Comment