Wednesday, April 21, 2010

For the last two months, I've been talking (more like whining) about growing some veggies in our back yard where the big pine tree used to be.  I have a brown thumb but last year was mildly successful given the facts that we planted late and there wasn't really enough light.   Will finally relented and said that I could use a few containers we had floating around to do a few plants.  So, off to Lowes and I picked out my lovely plants.  Once I had my plants, I got to work digging in the dirt.  Somehow, my dear husband caught the bug and decided HE wanted to plant some stuff too.  He dug up some raised bed frames from a shaded area and moved them to "his" area of the yard.  A competition was born.  He is convinced that my plants will die first.  We will see.

Here's my set up.  Old recycling bins from the city and an old container.  I have Rosemary, basil, roma tomatoes and a better boy tomato plant.  I also snuck a beefsteak tomato plant in Will's garden.  Note the black soaker hose snaking all around.  That will ensure that water gets to the roots and doesn't rot my beautiful blooms.
From Fisher Family Blog

Here is Will's garden.  He has banana peppers, green and red bell peppers, a jalapeno, and some strawberry plants. Yeah, it might look neat and not as trashy as mine but note that the soaker hose is not installed in his garden.  I'm not allowed to touch his babies with my water.  So the rest of the hose sits next to his area until he decides to put it in there.  

From Fisher Family Blog

And look at this teeny baby tomato growing on my plant...

From Fisher Family Blog


And here come a couple of Romas...I can taste the spaghetti sauce already!

From Fisher Family Blog

These beautiful blossoms will soon bear fruit that will be oh so tasty on a sandwich..or in a Caprese salad.  Decisions, decisions....
From Fisher Family Blog

2 comments:

  1. That is really funny! His is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, but you have fruit/veggies already (I'm not getting into whether a tomato is a fruit or a veggie)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey his might be super organized, but your looks way more fruitful :)

    Thanks for all of your support lately, you're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete