Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Facebook

Are you facebook friends with your parents?  I am and I'm not really sure how I feel about it.  I can be a reserved person.  The harder you try to push me into showing emotion, the harder I'll push back.  With my parents, at least.
When they got on facebook and friended me, I had to friend back.  It would be rude not to.  But now I feel myself avoiding status updates or saying things I would normally say.  I don't want to edit myself on facebook.  I don't update so someone I know can discuss it with me later.  Like my mom, commenting on my bad day last week.  It was last week and I don't want to talk about it anymore, so why bring it up?   FB is one of my few links to the world during the day and now it's censored.  I'm considering defriending them.  But how do you tell your parents that you don't want them to know every little thing you have to say?  They're your parents after all.  And they don't have 423 friends so I can't sneak off their friend list.  ugh.  Facebook.

Speaking of sneaking away, I have been defriended by someone from my message board and I'm not sure why.  We have lots of friends in common, she has commented on my remarks to said common friends.  But she defriended me and I have no clue why.  weird.  Don't get me wrong, I don't keep a running tally of my friend count and if you defriend me, I may not notice since I don't track that friend number but still.  It gave me pause.

Oh well.

Three years ago last week, this was me in my wedding dress.  I'd like to be there now:

From Jamaica Web Photos

5 comments:

  1. There is this pretty nifty feature on FB where you can block specific people from seeing that specific update. From what I can tell, you have to update right from your wall though (versus your newsfeed). Right next to the "Share" button is a picture of a little lock - click on that, then click "customize", then type in who you want to hide it from. Obviously it may be a pain in the butt to do that with every update, but it beats deleting them from your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooooh. This is very very helpful! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Leek, this totally reminds me of a recent South Park episode. You HAVE to watch it, it's all about Stan's dad wanting to be his FB friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I SO feel ya on this one. Get this...even my GRANDPARENTS are on facebook now! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph -I am going to find this episode!

    Chels - grandparents!?!? talk about editing!

    ReplyDelete