Wednesday, March 17, 2010

slowly giving up the garden....

So I was amped to start a garden.  The problem is that our area in the back yard is super junky, covered in pine needles (from the tree we just had chopped down) and there's a big shed in the way, not to mention the construction mess that's still left over from all of our recent home projects.  My dad is coming over at some point to move the shed but still..
A pregnant person can really feel overwhelmed by this mess.  Then we talked about having a landscaper help us at least plan the garden and maybe even setting it up but you know..its just seeming like too much.
The alternative:  join a CSA farm...(Community Supported Agriculture).  We have two farmer's markets that run each week and I could join and get a random box of tasty seasonal vegetables, including heirloom tomatoes (yum!).  This would cost about the same for the summer as it would for the boxes, dirt and plants that I'd have to buy for the garden PLUS, no weeding.  I'll pretty much be out of commission for the month of June anyway, tending to baby and figuring out a new routine, etc.  If you are interested in finding a CSA in your area, check out www.localharvest.org.  The farm I have my eye on delivers to the farmer's markets in my area and I have the choice of picking up my veggie box on wed afternoons or saturday mornings.  Convenient! Eco-Friendly!



No comments:

Post a Comment