Tuesday, May 5, 2009

mama needs her beauty rest, kid!

Holden rolls.  We've all seen it.  There is no longer a doubt.  As soon as you lay this kid on his back, FLIP!, over he goes.  What's the problem?  He doesn't like being on his tummy.  DOES NOT LIKE.  So after about 30 seconds on his stomach, he cries because he's like a turtle who can't flip back over.  It's fine during the day..we can keep him occupied with toys, the exersaucer and bouncer.  But at night, when you lay him in the bed, it gets tricky.  He doesn't want to sleep on his tummy.  He doesn't want to sleep on his back.  Last night was a battle.  Mom and Dad didn't get much sleep.  Naptime was a battle but so far, I won, sort of.  He's on his tummy, finally sleeping.  New problem:  how can I sleep knowing that my baby is on his stomach, face covered with his hand or pushing into the mattress???  SIDS, people.  How will he breathe?  Will keeps asking me when the danger of SIDS goes away so I will stop checking to make sure the baby is still breathing.   I told him at 6 months.  What he SHOULD have asked me was when I am going to stop checking to make sure the baby is still breathing.  That won't be at 6 months.  Ugh.   
Here's a pic of the babe, determined to suffocate himself despite my best efforts:
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. OK, so I was concerned about this too. Not that Spencer is flipping over, but I know it's only a matter of time. I can't help out on the "getting him to sleep on tummy" part, but on the SIDS concern, you can rest assured if he's strong enough to flip, he's strong enough to make sure he's not suffocating himself. At least that's what my ped said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's going to be just fine...the highest risk for sids goes WAY down at 4 months, BTW...also if he can flip, he will move his head if he can't breathe...sids is when a child dies and no one knows why...suffocation is a reason why, so this really isn't even in the same category...in our day, our moms NEVER would have put us on our backs to sleep b/c spitting up and choking is way more hazardous that sleeping on our tummies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby is doing the same exact thing. As soon as you lay her on her back she rolls to her tummy... and she HATES being on her tummy... so she screams. It is driving me CRAZY!!!! I hope that they both learn how to flip back VERY shortly. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete